- Last Updated on 25 June 2015
- Hits: 5515
The Royal Air Maroc-African Studies Association Student Travel Award aims to facilitate and increase the movement of students and the exchange of ideas, between students of African Studies in Africa and the United States. The overarching aim of the award is to acknowledge outstanding scholarship by future African Studies scholars. The award, which consists of complimentary airline tickets between the United States and any Royal Air Maroc (RAM) destination in Africa (a list of destinations can be found on the RAM website), is given every year at the ASA's Annual Meeting.
Each year, several tickets will be awarded to competitively selected students who have displayed outstanding scholarship in their area of study. Award tickets may be used to facilitate research, study abroad, and/or travel home for African students studying in the United States.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2015 awards.
Students from Africa pursuing studies and/or conducting research in the United States, and students from the United States pursuing studies and/or conducting research in Africa are eligible to apply for the award. Please note that travel must occur within 12 months of receiving the award.
Applications are being accepted in one of the following ways:
Only nominations from ASA members will be accepted. To renew your membership, please visit the ASA's membership page.
ASA Members are eligible to nominate outstanding students for the award. ASA members nominating their students can submit their nomination here.
All nominations and applications received on or before September 30, 2015 will be considered for this year.
2014 Award Recipients
- Raymond Boly McDaniel College
- Yaa Ampofo Yale University
- Matthew T. Claeys University of Ghana
- Nikhita Obeegadoo Stanford University
- Sarah Sharp Howard University
- Naa Ameley Quaye University of Oregon
- Samuel Anderson UCLA
- Nana Abena Dansowaa Amoah Indiana University
- Justine Davis University of California, Berkeley
- Mercy Itohan Odumwonyi Rice University
- Sarfo-Panin Kwabena Earlham College
- Sao-Kpato Max-Kyne Howard University
- Herbert Muhammad Abdur Rahim Howard University
- Advor Tsikudo Kwame University of Minnesota
- Richard Akum School of Oriental and African Studies
2013 Award Recipients
- Caitlin Carroll University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Chipo Dendere Georgia State University
- Yasmine El Baggari Hampshire College
- Hicham El Majdi University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Hewan Girma Stony Brook University
- Mustapah Hashim Kurfi Boston University
- Cheikh Tidiane Lo Indiana University Bloomington
- Maymoud Naglaa Howard University
- Helen Olsen Rutgers University
- Katherine Tennis American University